Dogs Naturally Magazine published a very informative article about how and how not to store dry pet foods that we definitely feel is worth sharing.
To start, the expert in the article advises a bag of kibble, once opened retains the full nutritional value for TWO WEEKS, TOPS, thanks to the oxidation process.
Tips On How To Enhance The Life Of Dry Food
- Buy smaller bags and try to have the food consumed within 7 days ideally.
- Purchase kibble without the fats and add your own fresh fat sources. For example, adding fish oil to the food at the time it’s served.
- If you purchase larger bags, then store it in the freezer to prevent oxidization.
- Don’t buy bags that are torn or damaged.
- If your dog or cat refuses to eat the kibble, do not force them too. They may be telling you something!
- Do not use plastic containers to store kibble. If you must, keep the food in it’s original bag and place that bag into the plastic container.
Remember: The long-term consumption of rancid fats for pets leads to long-term health problems for pets.